Savannah River Environmental Sciences Field Station Application
The Savannah River Environmental Sciences Field Station (SRESFS) Internship Program is managed by South Carolina State University in collaboration with over 30 member institutions. The SRESFS seeks to increase recruitment retention of underrepresented students in science, engineering, natural resources management and environmental career professions. Housing and courses are held at the University of South Carolina-Aiken and the Savannah River Site (SRS). Both are located in or near Aiken, SC. This course-driven program provides education and research opportunities that will prepare you for graduate and professional careers in the areas of environmental science, agriculture, and management of terrestrial and natural resources.
Although SRESFS offers various undergraduate courses, awarding academic credit for a course is at the discretion of your college or university. However, we will assist you in providing appropriate information as requested by your school. Course descriptions can be found on our website and in this packet.
Arrangements for course accreditation should be made between you and your school before you begin the internship.
Earning of Stipend
You are eligible to earn up to $2250 per session for up to a total of $4500 over two sessions. Interns will
earn $2250 per session if they enroll in and complete ALL of their classes with a “C” or better, and fulfill the following
- Adhere to Program, SRS, USC-A Housing, and course guidelines, rules, regulations, and responsibilities at all times.
- Commit to and be prepared for participating in classroom and/or field investigations/experiences at SRS for approximately 10 hours per day.
- Be prepared to conduct course work, field investigations, and research in conditions such as extreme heat, rain, wooded areas, and bodies of water for several hours each day.
- Are present for all class(es), Program meetings, and field experiences.
- Complete a scientific poster for each of your enrolled courses according to the guidelines of the Program and under the direction of your instructor.
- Complete all course and Program assessments prior to exiting the Program.
- Present your research to faculty, staff, students, and guests at the conclusion of each session.
- Agree to speak about your intern experience when you return to your home institution.
2020 Session Dates
|Session I 2020||Session II 2020|
|Faculty, Staff, TA Move-in||May 19th||June 16th|
|Student Move-In||May 20th||N/A|
|Class Begins||May 21st||June 22nd|
|Class Ends||June 18th||July 23rd|
|Move Out||June 20th||July 24th|
***July 4th is a Holiday
- Interns are housed on the campus of the University of South Carolina – Aiken (USC-A).
- The internship courses, field investigations, and research are conducted at the Savannah River Site and USC-A.
- Course descriptions and prerequisites may be found on our website: http://sresfs.scsu.edu/course-descriptions/
- Interns must commit to and be prepared for approximately 10 hours per day in the field at SRS and/or in the classrooms at SRS or USC-A.
- Interns cannot work another job or be enrolled in any non-SRESFS course(s) during the internship.
- Interns can be enrolled in up to two courses each session. To facilitate course placement, it is advised that you apply for as many courses as your institution allows.
- Course enrollment is limited to 10 students per course.
The Application Process
The minimum GPA required to apply is 2.5. This is a competitive process. Not all applicants are
accepted. Please review all sections of the application package thoroughly. Failure to voluntarily provide
complete and accurate answers may affect the review and consideration of your application. Please keep
a copy of your completed application with all requested materials for your files!
All application material must be submitted by March 31st, 2020.
Notification about the status of your application will be E-mailed to you.
A representative from the SRESFS Program Office will notify students of the status of their application via email by April 10th, 2020 Information
regarding the status of applications will not be available prior to this time.
Email questions to:
SRESFS Program Coordinator Cwalker3@scsu.edu
(Type “Field Station Applicant” in the subject line)
In addition to your online application, the following documents must be included and submitted via the following link: : https://SCUREF.formstack.com/forms/sresfs_reference_supporting_documentation
- Transfer of Credit form or similar signed document from your home institution. All required signatures must be obtained for the document to be considered complete.
- Letter statement of Intent in no more than 500 words.
- Current resume including scholastic honors and extracurricular activities.
- Two letters of recommendation from current and/or past college instructors shall be submitted via the following link: https://SCUREF.formstack.com/forms/sresfs_reference_form_2020
- An unofficial transcript obtained by the applicant from the home institution’s website is acceptable for the initial application submission.
You may submit an application now and submit all the required documents at a later date before March 31st, 2020! Please keep a copy of your completed application with all requested materials for your
files. Given the volume of incoming applications, we cannot return any of the materials submitted.
PLEASE HAVE ALL THE REQUIRED DOCUMENTS SENT TO OUR PROGRAM COORDINATOR CHRISTOPHER WALKER, CWALKER3@SCSU.EDU